She was spotted by U-68 on the 6th of November 1942 and torpedoed at 2030 hrs. The engines were stopped and preparations made to abandon ship. A second torpedo was fired 10 minutes after the first and the ship sank a few minutes later
THE FULL STORY
- 296 souls onboard
- 136 passengers
- 100 tons of silver coins
- Spotted by U-68
- Struck by two torpedoes
- Sunk in mid atlantic
- One boat was picked up by a German blockade runner, which was subsequently intercepted by the HMS Scylla and was scuttled on 1st January 1943.
- One lifeboat made it almost to Brazil before survivors were rescued.
- The master and 154 of the survivors were picked up by the SS Clan Alpine and landed on St. Helena island.
- Another 47 people were picked up by the British steam merchant ship Bendoran and landed at Cape Town.
- In all 104 people died, 79 crew, 3 gunners and 22 passengers.