Lloyds loss card
U505 log book extract
- Parts of the superstructure and the main deck had to be removed to expose the top of No.
- 4 deep tank in which the cargo was said to have been stowed.
- The tank top was removed and then the long process of removing hundreds of bails of fibre was started.
- Finally, at the bottom of the tank traces of boxes could be seen.
- In the boxes: silver cut coin
As per the requirement of United Kingdom Salvage Law, the recovered cargo was delivered to Southampton into the control of the Receiver of Wreck at the Department for Transport.
The Receiver held the cargo and established that the cargo owner was the United Kingdom Department for Transport. The Receiver helped negotiate an agreed salvage award between the cargo owner and salvor.